Driving License in Chennai, The Complete Guide
A Driving Licence In Chennai is the first thing you’ll need before getting behind the wheel in one of India’s biggest cities!
Finally, it’s easy to get your Driving Licence in Chennai if you’re from Chennai! The state government has been hard at work trying to push out an online portal. This idea behind the portal is to make applying, obtaining and renewing a driving license super easy.
But wait, why do you need a driving license, you ask? Can’t you just take an Uber or an Ola wherever you go? Well, trust us, when we say a driving license makes you feel good.
Think about it, once you have your license, you can drive to wherever you want to in Chennai or beyond! Maybe take your friends for that road-trip to Pondicherry! Or even just go down to Auroville alone and get some pizza at Tanto’s. Whatever the reason maybe, you should have a Driving Licence in Chennai if you want to get behind the wheel.
It’s common knowledge that a valid driving license is a mandatory document, if you want to get behind the wheel. However, before one is granted a license in the state of Tamil Nadu, one has to go through some basic formalities.
Chennai is the capital of Tamil Nadu and therefore has several Regional Transport Office (RTO) offices spread across the city. A Driving Licence in Chennai is issued by such RTO’s.
A good thing to note is that when you obtain a driving license in India, regardless of which RTO issues it, you can use it to drive anywhere in India. However, this isn’t applicable if you want to drive outside the territory of India. If you’re travelling abroad, you can apply for an international driver’s license. This can be done through the Zonal RTO in Chennai.
Since all states have different rules pertaining to driving licenses. Let’s take the city of Chennai today to understand how the RTO’s in the city of Chennai function.
Chennai is one of the oldest cities of India. Previously called Madras, it was an important port for the British. Chennai is famous for its educational, cultural and its booming economy. The state government is pushing for change and Tamil Nadu is one of the few states where online-first is being implemented rapidly.
To help reduce the load on physical RTO’s in Chennai, the state government started their online services. These online services are useful to apply for both a learner’s license (LL) or a permanent driving license (DL). So, let’s go ahead and take a look at how to get your driving license if you’re residing in Chennai!
Types of Driving Licence in Chennai, Tamil Nadu
There are several types of driving licenses available which you can obtain in Chennai. Let’s take a look at them below:
- Two-Wheeler Vehicle License: This is applicable for both geared and non-geared two-wheelers. This type of a license is generally granted to individuals above the age of 16 for non-geared and 18 for geared.
- Four-Wheeler Vehicle License: This is applicable for both geared and automatic cars. This type of a license is Generally granted to individuals above the age of 18 only.
- Commercial Vehicle License: This is applicable for any commercial transport vehicles (Ex: Mid-Size tempos come under this type). This type of a license is generally granted to individuals above the age of 20 only.
- Transport Vehicle License: This is applicable if the applicant wants to drive trucks, buses, bulldozers, speciality vehicles and other mid/heavy vehicles. This type of a license is generally granted to individuals above the age of 20 only.
Applying For A New Driving Licence in Chennai Online, Tamil Nadu
You can apply for a driving license online in Chennai, Tamil Nadu. Let’s go ahead and figure out how to do that:
Learner License (LL) / Driving License (DL) Form:
- All you have to do is visit the website setup by the Ministry of Road Transport & Highways. This website is called Sarathi
- Once you’re on the website, you can select the option to apply for a new LL/DL. (Learner License / Driving License)
- This will let you download the entire form from the website.
- After downloading the form, all you have to do is fill it and submit it back on the website. All of this can be done digitally and you don’t need to print the form.
Booking An Appointment At Your Local RTO In For A Chennai Driving License
- To book an appointment at your district RTO in Chennai, all you need to do is pre-book the slot online.
- You can do this by going to the Parivahan Sewa This too has been setup by the Ministry of Road Transport & Highways.
- You can also personally visit your district RTO (Ex: Tondiarpet RTO), to book an appointment slot. If you have filled the form online, please make sure to carry the form to the RTO.
What Next For A New Learner’s License?
- You need to get your documents verified before taking the test. You do this by visiting the RTO at the appointment time chosen by you.
- At the RTO, you will need to verify your documents.
- The RTO accepts documents such as passport, Aadhaar, Voter’s ID. You also need to carry passport size photographs. This is to prove your identity, address proof, date of birth, etc.
- They will collect a small fee of less than Rs. 200.
- After which, you can give the test online and the license is issued on the same day, if you pass. If you fail, you can try again the next day.
- The test questions you on the rules and regulations of the road, so we suggest you brush up on that.
- The learner’s license is valid only for 6 months. So, make sure you visit the RTO and apply for a permanent driving license before those 6 months lapse. Otherwise, you will have to repeat the entire process again.
- Note, a minimum period to wait to apply for a permanent driving license is 30 days.
What Next For A New Chennai Driving License?
- After booking the appointment online, you have to get your documents verified and submit your forms too.
- The Form 4, which is available online has to be filled. This form is the application for a driving license.
- Carry documents such as your Aadhaar, passport, voter ID, etc. This is to prove your identity, address proof, date of birth, etc.
- A small fee of under Rs. 500 will be charged to process your application.
- You will also have to give a driving test at the RTO in front of an official appointed by the RTO.
Points To Remember
- The learning license issued in Chennai will only be valid in the state of Tamil Nadu.
- The documents you submit to the RTO need to prove your permanent resident address, nationality, age, and other details. Please make sure to carry these documents in original.
- A permanent driving license usually reaches your permanent address within 30 working days.
- A permanent driving license is valid for 20 years from the date of issue.
We hope with this post, it is clear on how to apply and obtain a driving license if you’re a resident of Chennai!
We have also previously posted about how to check the status of your driving license application, renewing your driving license and getting an international driving license too! Which you can refer to, in-case you need to dig more into this topic!